Thursday, October 13, 2011

Blogging Dilemmas

I love blogging.  I know no one reads it (yet?), but it makes me feel good that someday someone might, and I might help them create something special for themselves or for a gift.  I feel it is my passive way of protesting the vapid consumerism and lack of craftsmanship that has taken over the US.  However, I have recently found myself in a bit of a blogger's conundrum.

I kind of want to share my blog with friends and family.  As of right now it is a carefully guarded secret (that I accidentally let slip a little this weekend).  It was only then that I realized how secret I was keeping it, and how badly I wanted to spill said secret.  I hate shameless self promotion, and I fully expect my family/friends to look once (if that) and ignore my blog ever after.   The people I know don't get off on crafting the way I do. I only consistently read one blog posted by someone I know, and that is because it INTERESTS me (shocking!).  But sharing something that makes me happy and that gives a window into my life and what I am doing with myself is so tempting.  Its not totally altruistic - of course, there is always the possibility of increasing readership via word of mouth...  I would at some point like to know that someone made something from a post... that is in fact WHY I bother writing it all down...

But then of course I run the risk of them seeing something I have in the works to give them as a gift, as well as the obscure possibility that I mention someone in a light they see as "unredeeming" (why I don't let Hubby read it...you know, just in case).  And there is always the joy in seeing completely organic growth in a hit count... so very satisfying when you know you have done no promotion whatsoever, but what you have to say is uncrappy enough that people will still read it.  Hello, Ego.

So, on the gift-spoiling front, I could always delay my posts until after the event in question has passed, and avoid all personal references (yeah right) so as to not ruffle feathers, but for big things like Christmas I would have nothing to post about for months (although after I would have enough to post until June), now would I ?  And referring to people is how I work in the back story of my projects... not that it probably matters to anyone but me.  But I do write for my own satisfaction, so it still matters...

So, do I share my blog, share my life and my goings on with those closest to me, increase my chances of gaining an audience by spreading the word, giving the disclaimer that people may know their gifts (and exactly how much and how long I spent on each) ahead of time, or do I bask in anonymity until I am "discovered" by the web at large and sacrifice this opportunity to keep in touch with the people I love?  See? Quandary...

No comments:

Post a Comment