Tuesday, February 5, 2013

slimming down my life

I just finished reading a book that changed the way I look at the world and at life.  7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess, by Jen Hatmaker, is just that, an experiment.  Written journal style, she goes through 7 months of reduction in 7 areas, one for each month.  Things like stuff, stress, media, food, and more... things we all probably have too much of.  It made me look at life in a completely new way.  And I really mean that.  I look around my home and see all the stuff on all my shelves, the food in my pantry and my fridge, the leftovers in the garbage, and I cannot bear to have it there any longer.  I feel like such a hypocrite.  I see all the need around me in my immediate community and in the global community, and I say that I love these people, that I care, that I wish I could help, and yet I hoard my things, comforting myself with the material, and feeling empty and hollow inside.  I don't know if this will fill the emptiness and discontent in my heart, but I do think it is a first step in the right direction.


I have decided to get rid of some stuff.  Things I like but don't need.  THIS MAKES ME UNCOMFORTABLE.  I am taking baby steps.  Please don't judge me too harshly. I am just learning to let go. The first thing on the chopping block is surprising to me.  Its something I LOVE.  It is what made me feel part of a group in high school when I was too terribly awkward to fit in anywhere.  It is my manga collection.  I know, I know, I am a closet nerd.  Manga, for those who are unfamiliar, is the term for Japanese comic books.  Its the print companion to anime, Japanese cartoons.  It is all in english, but it doesn't come cheap.  Each volume ranges from about $10-$20 a piece, and there are often 10, 20 or sometimes more volumes per series.  And I have like 8 different titles.  THAT IS A LOT OF MONEY.  I rationalize saying I got good deals from going to conventions and buying them from half price books, which is true, but even half of that is a crazy huge amount of money.  And I do think that most of them I bought brand new at full pop...









So, here is the thing.  I don't want to just give all my stuff away.  After all, I paid really good money for it.  And I feel that that money could go to a good cause.  I picked Kiva as the organization I would like to give my Manga money to.  That being said, I am going to sell them all at a STEAL (yes that means I haven't figured out how much to charge yet).  But I want them to go to the right person if possible... Someone who will love them, someone who will enjoy them.  Someone who maybe loves Japanese culture because it is the only thing that makes them feel a part of a group during an impossibly awkward point in their lives?  So much to ask for, I know...  So I am appealing to you, dear reader.  Help me find the perfect recipient.  I'm also posting them on Craigslist as a fail safe, but hey, I'd rather have a face and a story to go with it all...  Post comments on this post if you know of someone.  Thanks!

Oh and stay tuned.  I may need your help.  I think DVDs are next.  Seriously, God help me...

No comments:

Post a Comment